Thursday, November 19, 2015

White Sands NM




The white sand dunes confuse some into thinking this is as good as snow. I watched as this family took saucers slowly down the dunes, just not the same but I'm sure they had fun!



One of my first family travel experiences (that I remember) was the trip to AZ for Christmas to spend the holiday with my grandparents. Just mom driving, the boys and I in our Buick Wildcat. I was very small but I remember eating pine nuts, and loving them, leaving Phoenix early due to some flooding and jumping off the dunes at White Sands. While I don't do as much jumping these days, I love the visits to the beautiful white sand dunes in the heart of New Mexico. The contrast of the clear blue sky, blazing white sand and sparse vegetation makes for one of my favorite locations for photography. The little footprints in the sand give record of small creatures that roam the sands once all the visitors are gone for the day. On this visit, we arrived just in time as the nearby range was firing missiles over the area and it was closed until we arrived. Good timing on our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment