Monday, November 30, 2015

Dancer in the desert

As a young girl, my mother introduced me to my first pow wow in Sisseton South Dakota. The annual Wahpeton event took place every year on the 4th of July (148 years this year) and had participants from across the country. I do not recall noticing at the time but I'm relatively certain that we were in the minority as a blonde blue eyed mother daughter team. We were welcomed at the pow wow and it was a memorable experience I will never forget. We did not dance but my mother told me that when she was my age, her mother took her to the Sisseton pow wow and her mother did dance. My grand mother was 1/2 Mandan, with beautiful black hair and dark eyes, but I'm sure she got noticed with her little blonde blue eyed girl.

As we were walking in the desert I took this picture of a Yucca that reminded me of the Dancers in Sisseton. The movements are so true to my memories and it stopped me in my tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment