Sunday, March 20, 2016

And it tastes good too!

I know people that buy wine based on the pretty label. I have one friend that buys her wine because there are horses on the label and I must confess, I purchased this bottle because the name matches my name and I rarely see it used in the USA. When I do see it, I will usually buy what ever it is, with in reason. If it's over $20, maybe just a photo. On one of my last visits to San Francisco I dined at a restaurant of the same name, and it was excellent! When Gary and I traveled to Quebec we purchased some ice cream because, you guessed it, the name. Just OK as ice cream would go.

I have always loved the name my mother gave to me, and have often wondered where and how she came up with it? She also had a unique name and she explained that her mother came up with her name after reading a French Novel. When ever I pressed her for the origin of my name she would discuss the fact that my fathers father was of French Canadian decent, but that still didn't explain where she came up with it??? I've done the genealogy on both sides and you got it, no where to be found. What I can tell you is that my mother was a prolific reader, she read a book almost every night before bed and trashy French novels could have easily been on the reading list in her early days, during pregnancy. Later in life, she turned to science fiction so a vivid imagination was clearly in place.

It's not an easy name, most Americans get the pronunciation wrong, some even opt for Denise thinking it must have been spelled wrong. Even after I say my name twice and give the obvious visual connection to the fleur De Lys, many continue to call me Delssy, or Delilah and more than once, Delta?!%^*¥£. Mom would say that it takes a strong individual to live with a unique name and I can say for sure that even though she was just 5 feet tall, you did not mess with my mom or her unique name. No one would ever accuse me of being a wall flower or shrinking violet (wrong genus). So my name has its challenges but what the heck, I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment