Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air...




Last night we had a nice steady light rain which by the way, has an amazing sound in the RV. This morning the desert has a smell like no other reminding me of that famous song, Hotel California, by the Eagles. Funny how memories always connect with music for me. Ok, this is not what Don Henely had in mind but it has an interesting meaning that can go different ways in translation. The word "colitas" means literally, "Little Tails", so the slang, "colitas", (referenced in the song) means the burning of little marijuana 'tails/buds'. No folks, we were not doing any of that this morning, it was just the rain on the parched desert and I taking liberties with my title.

Walking the rim of the wash I had the good fortune of watching a mother burrow feeding her foal as the herd nibbled near by. Little tail flipping with joy. I could hear the burrows talking last night as they walked the wash along with a few coyote calls for an a-cappella wilderness song. I'm sure they could smell the rain coming in, and today, those dried up plants have a special taste with the fresh coating of rain.

The air this morning is crisp and clear with visibility at its best. It layers the mountains stretching off into the distance like the torn paper sculptures I made as a young girl with my mother. To the south, we watched as fog on Mittry lake rolled off with the gentle breeze. Stunning morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment