Monday, December 7, 2015

Back at the lake...









I guess you can say we are "true Minnesotans" because it seems like we have been in route this last month to go half way across the country, leaving the lake back home for what...a lake in Southern California/Arizona. I mean, what is it about water anyway? All I know is I just love it and for those that don't get Yuma, take a drive 20 miles north and you will see this.

But now we are finally here, at Squaw lake for the next two weeks and I'm in my happy place! Night has come and I'm listening for the shuffle of the little hoofed feet of the wild burros, the call of the Owls in the nearby palms and that song of the desert that only a coyote can voice.

So, I guess, it's not just about the lake, it is about the stark contrast of the desert that flows to the edge of the Colorado which feeds the lake. It's all the wildlife that were not always wild (these burrows were once owned by prospectors) and certainly about the amazing people we have met here, like the new friends we just made tonight and friends from the past like Joyce and Richard we hope to see here again some day, and even the very colorful Bobby and Mags his dog who we haven't seen in 4 years but still think about. Did I mention that it is warm here? Not hot, just a nice dry warm that will cool 20 degrees at night so you can sleep. Plus you could actually get into this lake for a swim rather than slide across the sheet of ice like the lake back home will be in just a short time. It makes this a special place, at least for us, and one that we come back to again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment