Thursday, February 21, 2013

Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park

I would have never guessed that there was a prairie in the center of Florida, but there is. Because many of the parks are booked up this time of year we are in the equestrian portion of the campground and for me, this is dreamy. And it is the nicer of the two campgrounds in my opinion with larger sites and 50 amp services and a view of the horses in the paddock across the center divide. A new set of hay-burners and no roaring at night here. Blue has already enjoyed several walks and I have added two new birds to my life list, the Crested Caracara and Burrowing Owl, the Red-Shoulder is not a new species for me but still a delight to see so close.

Sunday morning we will take a ride on the prairie buggy and with luck, I could add a third. I enjoyed the birding and watching the horses on the prairie adding several new species to my bird checklist, among the previously mentioned I now can include the Swallow Tailed Kite and the endangered Grasshopper Sparrow. We also followed a Barred Owl around the campground our last evening trying to get a picture with no luck. In Kissimmee I hope to include the Snail Kite while we are here, this Kite is another endangered species.

No comments:

Post a Comment