Saturday, March 7, 2015

Be careful what you pick up at the beach!

Earlier this week Gary and I took a walk along the bay side of St Joseph Island and we noticed some different shells (small conch like shells) along a cut feeding the lagoon behind the campground. So I stopped and picked up 5 shells and bagged them for the walk back to our site. Once we got back, I took out the old tooth brush and started cleaning my new treasures, set them out to dry in the sun on our picnic table and went in the rig to make some lunch. After lunch I went out to give my new shells a turn to dry the other side and noticed that they were all gone. Wondering what had happened to my shells I noticed one near the table and a few on the ground in various stages of retreating towards the lagoon were they originated. Because they were still inhabited I walked through the site and collected all 5 shells, bagged them and walked to the area were they came from, and turned them back to the sea, with their freshly cleaned shells. Lesson learned, don't just pick up every shell unless you are sure they are empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment