Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Jan. 13, 2015, Bahia Honda bird watch

I have always enjoyed the outdoors, especially wildlife and learned to identify birds while in high school. One of the most challenging teachers at my school was Oscar Johnson, a chemistry and ornithology teacher. I never had him for chemistry but I was the only girl in his ornithology class. I love birds and learned to identify many of our local species in no time. My photography skills quickly earned me special privileges like taking Mr. Johnson's expensive camera equipment out to track down and photograph birds that were not from our area, skipping classes with a special pass.

So when birds present themselves like this little Cormorant did today, I get the biggest thrill. We were just sitting out watching the bay and I turned to see her just a few feet behind us, picking up rocks from our site. I snapped her picture and started talking to her, which she did not seem to mind. If I came too close, she spread her wings an moved just out of reach, but still stayed close. After some time, she slid into the water and continued fishing in the area in front of our site. I must say, she is much better at fishing than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment