Saturday, March 24, 2012

New to my bird checklist





In our last week in Arizona, I've had the pleasure to include several new birds to my life list. Most from our campsites including the cardinal looking Pyrrhuloxia, a tiny Verdin who's bill could not fit in the hummingbird hole found a way to get some sugar water and just this morning a Scaled Quail that ran in front of Blue. One morning while I was watching the sun come up over the mountains a Coopers Hawk landed in the tree next to the rig to watch the ground squirrels digging new homes around the site. They seem to be small versions of the prairie dogs back in the Dakota, standing up straight as a meerkat to watch all they survey. I did not see the hawk take one for breakfast, but I'm sure he will as they get more daring and venture from their dirt dens.

No comments:

Post a Comment